ALIGNMENT OF WORKPLACE POLICIES WITH EMPLOYMENT EQUITY ACT
On the 20th of August 2020, the Minister of Employment and Labour published the Draft Code of Good Practice on the Prevention and Elimination of Violence and Harassment in the World of Work (Draft Code) for public comment. The deadline for public comment is the 20th of October 2020.The Draft Code is intended to address the prevention, elimination and management of violence and harassment that pervades the world of work, and provides for:
- Treatment, care and support
- Programmes, training and awareness
- Procedures in managing violence and harassment
- Monitoring and evaluation
The objectives of the Draft Code are to:
- Provide a framework and clarity on the interpretation and implementation of the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998, as amended, pertaining to the prevention and elimination of violence and harassment including gender-based violence and harassment
- Provide guidelines to employers, workers, employer organisations and unions on the prevention and elimination of violence and harassment, including gender-based violence and harassment as a form of unfair discrimination.
- Guide human resource policies and practices related to violence and harassment, including gender-based violence and harassment that are based on equity, dignity, health and safety and non-discrimination.
This legislation is likely to become law and it is important for designated and non-designated employers to align their workplace policies to the Employment Equity Act. Should the draft become law, it is imperative that all issues outlined are managed proactively rather than reactively.
Are you unsure about the validity of your Employment Equity Plan, considering the new Draft Amendments? Why not give us, at EconoBEE, a call on 011 483 1190 and let us handle all your Employment Equity needs and ensure that you are inspection ready all year round!
EconoBEE is hosting online workshops for both our existing clients, and for anyone interested in attending. For our BEE Managed Services clients, all BEE half-day workshops are free and our full-day workshops are half-priced! Please see our website for more information on our workshops.
To book, or to tailor-make a workshop for your company, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 011 483 1190.